Saturday, April 01, 2006

Urban Sun at Dinosaur BBQ

Thursday night brought the opportunity to enjoy two of my favorite things – delicious food and Urban Sun . Urban Sun features none other than R Raisinhater, my brilliantly talented brother, on the keyboard. Check out some of their songs right here, What’s Up (Coleslaw) is one of my favorites.

You may notice something missing from these tunes if you listen in. That’s my brother. He joined after they were recorded and I think he improves them one million percent. (No, I think I’m being perfectly objective. Why do you ask?) They’ll be playing this Tuesday, April 4, at the Knitting Factory at 8pm – I’ll be there dancing my fool head off.

Sadly, you all missed your chance to hear Urban Sun playing at Dinosaur BBQ on Thursday night. Ever since Mona posted about her visit I’ve been itching to go. B and I dined together, joined later by P Raisinhater, who helped us with some pitchers of their wonderful beer.

First, we had their wings (Garlic Chipotle Style, hot but not hottest). These were, no question, the best wings I’ve ever had in my life. They were huge - more like little T-Rex arms than chicken wings, and they were grilled. The sauce was thick and didn’t overpower the grilly flavor, and the dipping sauce had a little spice of its own.



For dinner, B had the Tres Hombres (brisket, ribs and pulled pork) with collard greens and fries.



I had the ribs and pulled pork platter with macaroni and cheese and an iceberg wedge. Everything was scrumptious. The ribs fell off the bone but had a crispy exterior, the pork was pulled into chunks, not little shredded bits, the sauces were fun to taste and compare, and the macaroni and cheese was divine. It managed to marry two macaroni and cheese attributes - home baked goodness and Velveeta style creaminess – that rarely come together. When they do, it is magical, and the mac ‘n cheese was a perfect combination for the spicy rich pork.



Dinosaur is definitely worth the trek uptown – it’s not hard to get there (just take the 1 train and either walk across 125th to 12th avenue and up one block to 131st (yes, one block, something funky happens with the streets) or take a cab. Beware, though, something about the location is extremely confusing for cab drivers. Tell your driver to go up to 125th, turn and head west on 125th until 12th Avenue (yes, I promise it does exist), then head north (left) ONE block.

Don’t forget Urban Sun at the Knitting Factory on Tuesday - this is your big chance to hang with the band before they become ultra superfamous and your only way to interact with them will be to fling your panties onstage at the Meadowlands.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

Might be time to dig out my Dinosaur BBQ cookbook...

9:54 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Mmmmm, I love me some good bbq. mac n cheese is of course essential.

What's up with the FUNK! Good sound, too bad I'll miss it. Shake some booty for me!

10:21 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

I just drooled on my keyboard...

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

I don't know about you, but anyone who has wicked flames on their website gets my vote!

Have fun tomorrow night :)

11:22 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Mebeth, oh my god I'm soooo excited you went and loved it as much as I did. However, are you telling me you were in my neighborhood and you had a family member performing and I didn't get a call? I'm crushed:) Ha, just teasing, i've never been to the knitting factory but i'm going to check out your brother's band right now. Awesome pix! I love the T-rex arms , i mean chicken legs:)

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home