Monday, February 12, 2007

Or Perhaps the Alien Invaders are to Blame?

For the past week I’ve been eating grapefruit for breakfast and it’s far sweeter than I remember. It’s been a few years since I’ve had a grapefruit, but certainly not long enough for it to have evolved all Darwin-style into a more yummy citrus product. I am suspicious, and I’ve narrowed it down to a few possibilities…

1.) Grapefruit is actually getting sweeter.

There’s some genetic engineering hocus pocus going on and they’re cross breeding grapefruit and Skittles to create a more delicious breakfast for me.

2.) Fresh Direct has special grapefruit.

Unlikely, because I’m just buying the cheap one from Fresh Direct; it’s not even organic. For the sake of science, I’m going to purchase a grapefruit from Whole Foods and one from the dirty Gristede’s on the corner and have a little taste test. I’ll report back.

3.) It’s not you, it’s me.

Perhaps my palate has changed? Is this part of some bizarre adult rite of passage signifying that I’m now mature enough to appreciate what was once a very unpleasant tasting food? If this is the case, please send gifts. (One of those grapefruit knife/spoon combo things would be particularly appropriate.)

4.) Global Warming

I don't know how, but I'm sure it's to blame for this too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff in NC said...

My first thought, even before getting to the end of you post, was Global Warming! But my second theory, and I am going witht his..is that it's you. I think you are becoming an adult. And you can't stop it. And you know what is next? RAISINS! You are going to eat one and LOVE IT! And then your blog is thrown into a state of complete disarray.

Joe says I have an active imagination......

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I have to buy some grapefruit ...

Hahaha! Jeff is funny. Yeah, have a raisin and tell us all about it. ;-)

How are you? Hope you've stayed inside this snowy, icy, sleety day.

Paz

9:48 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Jeff - Active imagination indeed! I actually did try a raisin recently (against my will) and was absolutely repulsed.

Paz - I'm totally hiding inside today, I'm even getting takeout for lunch.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Jeff in NC said...

Ok. Then Global Warming it is!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, you are absolutely right. They are sweeter and more juicy.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home