Thursday, November 10, 2005

Chocolate Crepe Fix



About a month ago I quit smoking. I know some people that have quit smoking with relatively little angst – they just slapped on a patch, bought some cinnamon gum, and went on their way. These are the same people that say to me, "now that you've quit, aren't you just disgusted by the smell of cigarettes?"

As they're saying this, I'm trying to french kiss the grizzled barfly on the stool next to me because he's exuding eau de Marlboro. I love smoking, I miss smoking, and I need to stop writing this right now or I'm going to dash out and suck down a luscious pack of Parliaments. Oooh, I love that cute little recessed filter. Mmmm, I am now making subconscious flicking motions with my fingers.

(Elapsed time: 10 minutes for cold shower.)

Quitting smoking has certain noticeable physical effects other than the health benefits. Some are dreadful, such as the evil temperament, loss of lightning-fast metabolism, and inability to thwart mental blocks with a convenient nicotine infusion. Some, though, are actually not so bad. First, I can run faster and longer. Hell, I just ran a marathon. Second, I now have a new-found appreciation for chocolate.

Until a month or so ago I never really had a sweet tooth. Salt tooth, yes. Cheese tooth, absolutely. I have vices aplenty, but I'd order another glass of wine over a dessert any day of the week. Now that I no longer get that after-dinner cigarette, I find myself yearning for a little something in the cocoa family.

Last night we gobbled up the last of the Swiss chocolates (thank you, family of J, please go back to Switzerland soon!) so tonight I made crepes with chocolate sauce and dulce de leche as part of my nicotine replacement therapy program.

Crepes with Chocolate Sauce and Dulce de Leche

1 1/3 cups whole milk
1 cup all purpose flour
3 large eggs
3 T unsalted butter, melted
1 T honey
¼ tsp salt
Dulce de Leche
Melted chocolate chips

I was always intimidated by crepes - this was my first attempt and it was surprisingly simple. Mix first six ingredients together in blender. Refrigerate for at least one hour and up to one day. Heat 8” nonstick skillet on medium (I sprayed the bottom with nonstick spray). Pour ¼ cup batter into pan, swirl to coat.



Cook for approximately one minute, until bottom just begins to brown. Lift edge with spatula, and flip with your hands (much easier to use your hands rather than a spatula). Cook until other side lightly browns (about 30 more seconds).



Transfer to plate, cover with paper towel, repeat. Once crepes are cooked, spread half with dulce de leche, fold in half and drizzle with chocolate.



Inhale.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Congratulations on quitting. Eventually you will be very glad you did. And think of the money you are saving that you can now spend on cookbooks.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Those look great. I'm inspired by your story and can totally relate. I've been trying to kick the habit now myself for about a year (I was a relatively late starter) and I think it's going to take a real phsyical uprooting, from my friends at work to my roommate at home. HELP! It's so social for me, I can't picture myself saying no to someone who wants to go outside and have a smoke. But it will kill me so what am I thinking?!??!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look fantastic!

Dropping by after reading about your blog over at Sweetnicks :) Glad I did!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Nice Crepes MeBeth!

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sittin' out here in the Northeast, wathcing a stupid Quiznos commercial for their new BBQ,and thinking, "I wish I had one of them BBQ sandwiches from one of them not-Quiznos places." I decided to search for the one that looked the best to me, "Smokin' Berties", so I could add it to my list of places to go before...

Anyway, somehow your page came out on the top of the results. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm gald it did.

I just quit smoking myself. Now, I'm not planning on going out to runa marathon anytime soon (I gave up my aspirations of running the Boston Marathon over 20 years ago). However, a lot of the stuff you said about quiting really rang the bell. I especially appreciate the cheese tooth becoming someone that enjoys chocolate.

Chocolate has never been a big deal to me until recently. I'm not sure what it is about smoking and chocolate, but my appreciation for cocco has definitely gone up.

The icing onthe cake... I also love cooking (have since long before I quit smoking), so now I have a new place to look for idea also.

Thanks,
Mike.

P.S.

If anyone knows where the real, roadside BBQ stand used in the stupid Quiznos commercial named "Smokin' Berties" is located, please post. Sooner or later, I'd like to get a sandwich there.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home