Monday, December 19, 2005

Brussel[s] Sprouts

Brussels sprouts were first cultivated in Belgium, and are therefore named after its capital, Brussels. I don't know why this name connection never occurred to me, but I have been walking around saying "brussel sprouts" rather than "brussels sprouts" for just about my entire life until last Friday.

Until last Friday, I'd never cooked brussels sprouts at home. But there they were, looking all cute and mini-cabbagy at Whole Foods, practically begging to come home with me. And S'kat has made such nice ones recently, I thought I'd give it a try.

All of the recipes I found online were far too complicated, so I made up my own.



Brussels Sprouts with Shallots

Trim dirty ends off brussels sprouts and cook them in a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes, until they turn a more vivid shade of green and start to soften up. Remove from heat and drain. Once Brussels sprouts are cool enough to touch, slice them in half. Heat 1 T or less of oil in a pan over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add brussels sprouts, cut side down. After a few minutes, add three T of minced shallot, stirring to brown. Once the shallot has softened and browned lightly, and the flat sides of the brussels sprouts are starting to brown, add a few T of chicken broth. Cook (stirring frequently) for 1-2 minutes, until broth is reduced. Salt and pepper to taste. If you're feeling decadent, stir in a little butter too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff in NC said...

OOoo, very brave of you! I had no idea either they were Brussels Sprouts.

I don't mind them, and actually like them in small quantities. I'd rather have M&Ms though... =:o

5:35 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

So, what's the verdict, girl? You like-ee?

6:09 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Always feelin decadent:) Nice recipe. Glad someone tried S'kat's recipe. I would have too if other people who will remain nameless liked them in my family :(

11:29 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Jeff - that makes me feel better. I thought I was the only one. And yes, I might go for M&Ms first too!

S'kat - despite the fact that I might reach first for the M&Ms, these were really good! I would definitely make them again. Who knew?

Mona - I agree, I generally cant resist a little extra decadence.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home