Sunday, October 16, 2005

Raisinhaters On The Run

J and I finally did an 18 mile run on Sunday morning. The entire weekend was spent either eating in preparation for the run or eating to recover (and replenish our precious carbohydrate stores). The 18 mile run was pretty dreadful, actually, and I think my right leg almost fell off.

I attribute the fact that we finished at all to our pre-race preparation. For lunch the day before we braved the hour long line at Shake Shack!



We enjoyed cheese fries



and burgers, of course. (In the interest of full disclosure, I must mention that we ordered and consumed more than one Shackburger burger apiece. Running 18 miles requires a lot of energy.)



These burgers are blessed with a special sauce, described by the cashier as ketchup, mayonnaise, and chipotle. The bun is squished and not so special looking at all, but is blissfully unobtrusive and not overbready. I found it quite pleasing that the bun top and bottom remained joined on one edge in a clamshell fashion. This design helped maintain structural integrity while catching any special sauce that would otherwise have dripped away. The balance between burger, bun, cheese, lettuce, tomato and special sauce was perfect.



When I first tried the Shackburger a few weeks ago, I thought I had found burger nirvana. And yesterday’s burgerfest was satisfying and scrumptious. Nevertheless, the POP Burger has a certain grilly flavor that the Shackburger lacks, and seems a bit saucier than the Shackburger. Both of these factors help it nose out ahead of the Shackburger, at least based on my limited research thusfar. Obviously continued testing is warranted.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home